Friday, August 31, 2012
On a bad day, I have mood swings - but on a good day, I have the whole mood playground! - Charles Rosenblum
Welcome back!
**SPOILER** This week's post is not as light and humor-filled as previous posts. I'm in a bit of a sh*tty mood this week...
This week has been fairly strange. Spent some time with my family and my Hubby came up from Pittsburgh for a visit. I got my hair cut - fairly short - just in case. Dr Lancaster said with the previous chemo cocktail that I should have minimal hair loss, but he never really said what the new concoction would do. So I have a pixie cut. I have tried to stay really strong and positive to this point, but I have a feeling that if I saw huge clumps of my hair coming out...it would break me. At least with it shorter it won't be quite as noticeable, i hope.
So, Tuesday morning, my parents and I get up and do our morning routine. Mom and I start to figure out what to take with us for the upcoming first chemo.
The phone rings.
It's Dr Lancaster's office..."So sorry, the Dr seems to have forgotten that you need a B12 shot before you start the Alimta, also that you need 2 other prescriptions. Oh yeah, and the B12 has to be given AT LEAST 5 days before chemo starts..."
You have got to be kidding...
So, Wednesday morning, instead of getting hooked up to my drip and learning everything I need to know about my treatment, my parents took my on a hour and a half round trip drive for a shot and a blood draw...yay.
I start chemo next Wednesday.
I have had an interesting new development in my chest too. It seem something is now pushing on my esophagus! It feels kinda like a mixture of a lump in my throat and the sensation you get when you swallow liquid and have a burp coming up at the same time...you know that weird pressure you get until the burp or the liquid gives in and lets the other on pass. Except this feeling hasn't gone away since Tuesday. Boy, this is fun...LOL
While I'm at it, I may as well mention my mom's "World's Best Neighbor" - NOT! Last week, she sent her 5 year-old grandson over with a card and some crackers for me, because he felt bad that I was ill...kinda sweet, right? Well the neighbor called as he was walking over to tell me not to let him in the house because he's been sick all week, with strep throat! I told her on the phone that I could NOT be around him, I was about to start chemo! She already knew this!! What an idiot! If that was all, I could overlook it. Tuesday, before I found out my treatment had been moved back a week, she stood in her yard and started shouting to me, asking personal questions about my cancer and treatment (like I need the whole neighbor to hear this newscast, right?) And I told her I was starting chemo the next day...she asked me if I was scared - nice one...But that's not all! I had trouble getting to sleep Tuesday night, because the plans had changed so drastically and I was a little emotional that day. I finally ended up drifting off sometime after midnight. Well, the same neighbor decided it would be a fantastic idea to drive her ride-on mower around her yard...at 1:30 in the morning. I now have no time or respect for the woman. It would be no skin off my nose if she never talked to me again!
WHEW! I'm sorry, but I have been holding on to that for a little while and I needed to get it out!
Now then!
I have had a few fun things this week. I went shopping with mom for scarves and earrings, and cut up a few old tank tops for head wraps! That was kinda cool, and I'm working on figuring out how to do the wrapping and inserting the scarves. I think I might buy a couple of jersey cotton head coverings though, for days that I am just not up to wrapping, tying, or generally pissing around with head wraps!
Oh, and much to my Mother's surprise and amazement...you can still see the floor in my bedroom! I've been keeping my room clean! SHOCKING!
Ta Ta For Now!
Mandy and (The Soon-To-Be-Poisoned) Goober & Gang
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mandy, your haircut is darling.
ReplyDeleteAs for the neighbor, she is thoughtless. Many people say the wrong things at the wrong time, but this woman is clueless.
I'm sorry to hear that your treatment is postponed, but hang in there. Your positive spirit will help you a lot.
I'm cheering for you and there are people all over California praying for you!
Kellie